What to do if a tenant disturbs the peace of other residents?

  • Updated

If the tenant is disturbing the (night) peace of the neighbours, we recommend the landlord addresses the problem to the tenant by explaining how this behaviour affects the surrounding residents.

  • Examples of peace disturbance include: the tenant's constant (nightly) fighting with family members, noisy parties, smoking, misuse of common areas, aggressive behaviour towards other people living in the building, etc.

After communicating with the tenant, we recommend that a formal warning is drawn up, clearly describing the tenant's misconduct. The warning should also include information that if the situation does not improve, i.e. if the landlord becomes aware of new complaints, the tenant has again breached the agreement and legal obligations. This will be grounds for terminating the rental agreement.

The law allows the landlord to give 30 days' notice to terminate the rental agreement on an extraordinary basis if the tenant continues to disturb the well-being of the tenants, despite prior written warning.

In order to confirm the grounds for termination, the landlord should be able to show evidence of the tenant's breach(s), for example, police summonses, written statements from neighbours and the housing association, photos and videos. 

If you need a sample of the warning or advice on a specific case, please reach out to our customer support.